The KNMT, the Royal Dutch Dental Association, is the professional association for dentists, oral surgeons and orthodontists in the Netherlands. We bring together over 10,000 members with a tremendous pool of knowledge, quality, experience, and ambition.
For over a century we have been committed to dentists, dental surgeons, orthodontists and their patients. Dentists and dental specialists can count on the KNMT from the moment they join the profession to after they retire. So why not join us?
Why become a member of the KNMT?
Here are the top 7 reasons to join the KNMT:
- As the largest professional association working on oral care, the KNMT can vigorously defend your interests in the Hague and Europe, as well as those of thousands other dentists, orthodontist, and oral surgeons. We are the party that authorities, institutions, and politicians naturally turn to for consultation.
- Starting working as a dentist means dealing with a lot of things. The KNMT can help you get off to a flying start, by arranging a personal Startersgesprek (Starter’s Interview) with you, in which we offer independent advice. Any further questions? If so, our Ledenservice (Members Service) is there to answer them every working day.
- The KNMT will help you stay up to date in your profession and in running your practice. Take the IQual study groups, inspections, seminars, conferences, and practical tools and support, which will all help you to comply with new and existing laws and regulations.
- Thanks to KNMT’s Dentistry Job Bank, the largest dental job postings website in the Netherlands, you can easily and quickly find that wonderful new job at a practice anywhere in the Netherlands. It allows you to quickly draw up a contract using our free online employment contract generator. We can also check your contract to ensure it is in line with market standards.
- Stay current 24/7 with developments in oral care via knmt.nl, our e-newsletters, our social media and the Nederlands Tandartsenblad (Netherlands Dentistry Journal).
- All the additional member benefits, such as discounts on your health and other insurance, mean your membership will pay for itself.
- All dentists in the Netherlands are required by law to have a formal complaints procedure for their patients. As a KNMT member, this prerequisite is covered with our KNMT Klachtenservice (Complaints Service), which is included in your KNMT membership.
How much does KNMT membership cost?
- If you are a dentistry student: we can offer you our free student membership (excluding KNMT Klachtenservice/Complaints Service). After you graduate it will automatically end. The first 5 months after your BIG registration you will be entitled to our discounted membership for young dentists.
- If you are a dentist from outside the Netherlands, but have not yet registered as a dentist in the BIG register: we offer you associated membership. As soon as you have your BIG registration you will be entitled to our discounted membership for newcomers.
- If you are a dentist from outside the Netherlands and you are registered in the BIG register: we offer you our discounted membership for newcomers. Please note: this offer is only valid within the first 5 months after your BIG registration!
What about the discounted membership for newcomers?
The following discounted fees apply for foreign trained dentists that were trained outside the Netherlands and that start working here.
- Free membership for the year you officially register yourself as a dentist in the Netherlands (with the BIG Register)
- Year 1 after your BIG Register registration, you pay €100, including KNMT’s Klachtenservice (Complaints Service) and KNMT branch fee
- Year 2 you pay €300, year 3 you pay €500
- From year 4 of your membership you start paying the regular membership fees, which will depend on your earnings (€ 995,- for a non-discounted, full membership).
How can I apply for KNMT membership?
Would you like more information or do you have questions about your specific situation? Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us: KNMT Ledenservice (Members Service), by email or telephone +31 (0)30 607 63 80.